No matter how small film and video equipment gets, it is still like packing for a third person. Microphones are the worst, because they need to be well-protected, but they come in odd sizes. This usually consists of two shotgun microphones, a wireless microphone kit, as well as two lav mics, a blimp, and lots of odd parts and accessories. Recently I posted about this to a forum with lots of documentary filmmakers, and they suggested the following options. I’m still thinking about what might work best, but here is the list:
- Someone pointed me to this recent Cool Tools post about Op/Tech wraps.
- Might work well with the cloth tool bag or bicycle courier bag.
- Or maybe in a mailing tube like these. Or, fancier ones, like these.
- The Pelican 1080 hard case has adjustable interior padding and is what most people recommended.
- And someone else suggested cigar tubes, or boxes.
If you have any other ideas, let me know!
UPDATE: Also told to look at gun cases, like this one, which can be cheaper than Pelican cases. Also a brand by the name of Doskocil.